5 Parramatta Square construction begins
City of Parramatta Council’s long-term vision for a flagship community, cultural and civic building in the Parramatta CBD is coming to life as construction of 5 Parramatta Square begins.
New artist impressions and a 3D flythrough animation offer a first look inside the $130 million hub, including its state-of-the-art library, community and creative spaces, and new Council Chambers.
Turning the first sod on the new site today, City of Parramatta Lord Mayor Cr Bob Dwyer said 5 Parramatta Square will be an iconic landmark in the centre of global Sydney.
“5 Parramatta Square is a building for our community − a once-in-a-generation infrastructure project and acclaimed cultural hub where people can work, create, learn and play,” Cr Dwyer said.
“Councillors first committed to the vision of a new civic building within a world-class commercial and cultural precinct in 1996 and we are incredibly proud to see their ambitious plan taking shape.
“Parramatta Square is one of the biggest urban regeneration projects Australia has ever seen and 5 Parramatta Square will be the beating heart of this revitalised CBD precinct.”
Set for completion in April 2022, the six-storey building will feature:
- a world-class public library at the forefront of technology, offering an extensive book collection, digital resources, 24/7 book return facility, study areas, and a permanent home for a significantly enhanced City of Parramatta Library;
- a Discovery Centre and cultural heritage spaces, including interactive displays and exhibitions, an Aboriginal Keeping Place for local Indigenous objects, a Research Lab and professional services providing access to Council’s cultural heritage collection, and cultural programs;
- a ground-floor foyer (the ‘Urban Living Room’) with concierge, visitor services, Council customer services and a café, as well as spaces for live performances and cultural activities;
- a multi-coloured digital facade with specially-curated creative content to light up Parramatta Square;
- community collaboration and creative spaces where the public can create, experiment, study, work, meet, exercise, play, and engage with Maker Space/STEAM programs; and
- the new City of Parramatta Council Chambers.
“Sydney’s Central River City is experiencing a bold transformation and 5 Parramatta Square is Council’s investment in its future − an accessible multi-purpose space that will support our community’s changing needs for generations to come,” Cr Dwyer said.
“From its world-leading sustainable design to its state-of-the-art facilities, 5 Parramatta Square reflects who we are as a City – vibrant, innovative and evolving, with a rich history and promising future.”
Council appointed Australian construction group Built in February to construct 5 Parramatta Square following a rigorous selective tender process. More than 200 short-term construction jobs will be created.
Built National Director Steve Boss said: “We are excited to be delivering not just a striking, place-making design in 5 Parramatta Square but also a 6-Star Green Star building. We will be creating more local jobs and training opportunities through a range of new apprenticeships and cadetships.”
Built is also constructing 6 & 8 Parramatta Square, set to be the largest commercial building in Australia, and has recently completed 3 & 4 Parramatta Square.
5 Parramatta Square was designed by a team comprising French firm Manuelle Gautrand Architecture and Australian firms DesignInc and Lacoste+Stevenson − the jury’s unanimous choice as winner of an international Design Excellence competition in 2016.
DesignInc Director Richard Does said: “5 Parramatta Square is designed as an extension of its civic heart, Parramatta Square. A design based in Biophilia, it reflects nature through its unique roof treatment to disperse natural light evenly and shade the interiors, which are fully visible from the Square. The architecture celebrates its public contribution. Its distinctive geometry makes it a landmark.”
5 Parramatta Square will be the final addition to the new $2.7 billion Parramatta Square precinct, set for completion in 2022. The three-hectare hub in the Parramatta CBD will feature commercial towers, premium-grade office space, civic facilities, retailers, restaurants, and a large public space.
Parramatta Square projects which are already open include: 1 Parramatta Square, a Western Sydney University campus; 2 Parramatta Square, the Sydney Water Tower; 4 Parramatta Square; the Parramatta Station underground pedestrian link; and part of the public domain.